Wednesday, June 24, 2009

My bad mom day


Yesterday was a bad mom day. We were at Home Depot and the boys and I were getting some rock for our front yard so the cart was full of bags of rocks. The boys were being fairly good, James was helping me push the cart and Austin was hanging on the front. While we were trying to find another item we needed for the house, Austin crawled underneath the cart on the grate and was hanging on. I checked on him and he was fine, seconds later after I checked, the cart stopped abruptly and James and I immediately tried to push it forward again to see why it wasn't going, well Austin started to scream. I looked down and the skin on his elbow had been sucked down into one of the wheels and James and I didn't even know it. I am surprised and very grateful that it didn't tear the skin off, but it made a HUGE, MASSIVE bruise on his elbow. When we got home we put some ice on it and the swelling went down, but I continue to feel bad. Knowing that kids aren't supposed to ride on the carts like that, I had let him anyway. He has bounced back just fine, but I don't think we will be riding under the carts ever again!!

2 comments:

Tami Harris said...

If it makes you feel better, I had an incident like that happen with Parker about a year or so ago at Costco, but instead of an elbow it was a finger and we took off an entire finger nail. It was horrible!! The poor kid and it didn't help having the other parents shooting daggers at me from a distance!

McIntire Madness said...

So funny. I always get dirty looks at the stores. I can't tell you how many times Cole has tipped the small shopping carts while Ethan was riding unbuckled inside! I have caught him, but barely!