Tuesday, June 7, 2011

My poor sick baby

The last few days have been pretty rough for me. When Tanner was a few weeks old he started to get really wheezy and he would cough a lot after he would throw up (that is normal from his reflux) and then he would cough up a green loogie. It was quite sad watching him do this but he didn't have any other symptoms so I decided to wait until his 2 month check up to show his doctor. Well, his doctor took a listen and couldn't find anything wrong with him, just said he was "a little stuffy." His doctor did tell me to call if any other symptoms arrived. Well, this coughing came and left and came and left, not being real consistent until this last Thursday and Friday. He would do the coughing attacks but this time they would come on a lot stronger and last for longer. Even at times my mother instincts would tell me he was having a hard time breathing. Well, I watched him like a hawk and kept taking his temperature until Saturday night he really scared me.

He took a little longer to fall asleep and had a few coughing attacks where I had to pat him on the back to get him to breathe really deep. He also had started wheezing A LOT more than normal, and he wouldn't nurse as well. He finally got to sleep and I think I was up all night long listening to him cough and gag, he would go right back to sleep, but he made me a nervous wreck. Finally at 4:30 I got up with him, gave him his bottle and sat him up to burp him. He had the worse coughing attack I have seen. He would cough and wheeze, gag, cough, wheeze, gag and wouldn't take a really deep breath. (almost like an asthma attack, my mom has those) While I was holding him up watching this I could feel his side cave in a little where his lungs were and then the skin on his legs were slightly blue, and this lasted for almost a minute, ( I think I am slightly exaggerating because it felt like eternity). Sometimes when I would give him some saline spray it would sort of clear things enough for him to calm down, so I did that and he started to get things under control. I undressed him so I could look at his chest and I could still see it caving in slightly but his clue color went away a little, so I decided to call the on call doctor where I take our boys to see what they had to say. Well, the doctor just happened to be the boys doctor, I told him of his symptoms and he urged me to take him in the next day. While I was talking to him the phone was close to Tanner so he could hear him, and told me it was a good sign he was calming down but wanted the wheezing to get checked out.

We both ended up falling back asleep even though I was quite freaked out to fall back asleep. i sent the older boys with Michael to church and stayed home with baby T. A nurse called me to see how Tanner was doing and so I made an appointment. While Tanner and I were home he did the coughing attack again and his skin on his face was really pale so I just left the house even before the appointment started because I was so freaked out. We got there and when I walked in Tanner was coughing, when the doctor entered the room she said, "That cough sounds just like a cold." Well, I then said just wait and listen. She checked him out and heard the wheezing. Because my oldest has a history of ear infections she checked his ears. And sure enough he had the beginnings of a right ear infection and bronchitis. They did an albuterol treatment on him which helped a TON! She then informed me that because the albuterol helped his wheezing he probably has asthma and sent me home with a nebulizer. I was very worried about my sweet baby boy, but through all of this, his smiles and calm demeanor have kept me telling myself that he is going to be all right.

We have continued breathing treatments and antibiotics and he is progressing but still can be really wheezy in the mornings and the evenings. I go in for a follow up appointment with his regular doctor to see how he is doing. Until then we have ben staying at home and getting rest (well at least trying to) cause now with the antibiotics he has lots and lots of gas and poopy diapers. When there is one thing there is always another with a new baby, who we sure love. :)
Below are some pics of our sweet baby while this was all going on. (I know, he sure is one happy boy)



1 comment:

Sara, Nick, and kids said...

Omg I'm so sorry Joanna. That's awful. Keep us updated. Those pics are so cute :)