Saturday, November 17, 2012

FINALLY!

I've waited for a while to really come out and say that I think we are finally on the road to recovery. I wanted Michael to be home for longer than 2 weeks before I would update anyone on the details of anything. Well, he is doing good, really good. He got home at the end of September. His infectious diseases doctor let him go home a few days early because his kidneys started to not recover to where they needed to be. He came home with the wound vac still in his wound and he came home very very anemic and very skinny and a little depressed. We had the "at home" nurse coming for a while, taking his blood, and changing the wound vac. The happiest day was when the nurse called us to tell us that her and the infectious diseases doctor wanted to discharge him. When she told me that I said, "Are you sure?" It took him a few weeks for the crazy ampho "chemo" med to get out of his system. He trucked along though, happy to be home but still frustrated that his body wasn't functioning fast enough. Arthritis struck him pretty hard too, so on top of all the other symptoms slowing him down, that one did too. I would say that the last few weeks have been the best. He's so happy to be back taking pictures and working alongside my dad, (he hated more than anything not being there to help him). He's been carrying Tanner by himself and I even left him with all three boys the other night, (which was heaven by the way). The happiest and most "normal" I have seen him is after his wound vac was officially taken off. He's had it off since October 28th. He hated carrying his "man purse" around, (is what he called it). My favorite time has been late at night when we go to bed, we lay there and talk for a bit before we go to sleep. It's so nice to have my best friend back. I have moments where I think about the times that he wasn't there and wish that will never happen again. I know it will someday but until then, I will bask in every moment I get. I love the life that we have created together. Our three boys, our little house, our laughs, our silly moments, and most of all our family close by. I don't think I will ever be able to describe how happy I feel to anyone for all that I have been given back. All I can say is that my heart is full, and I'm grateful for the miracle I experienced. The only thing that I think describes how I feel now are a few quotes that I love......."Be strong when you are weak, Brave when you are scared, and Humble when you are victorious." "Let your past make you better, not bitter." "Struggles are required in order to survive in life, because in order to stand up, you gotta know what falling down is like." "One of the hardest decisions you'll ever make in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder."

2 comments:

Mimi Collett said...

I can't think of any words that would really express how happy I am for your current happiness, but I really am so happy for you and your boys.

Sara, Nick, and kids said...

so happy for you. i wish you guys the best and hope it only gets better from here :)