Monday, December 10, 2012

Lots to be grateful for

In July I had Michael working with a personal trainer at our gym. His name is Bob. Bob and Michael hit it off. Bob helped Michael be excited about working out and even better Bob loved helping Michael. Bob is a sweet, kind, loving, and selfless man. He's also strong. The man had the biggest guns for a 70 year old. Michael only had him for a couple of weeks because he then ended right back in the hospital again. Unfortunately, Bob developed some physical problems himself also. He was diagnosed with throat cancer. Michael and I were so saddened by this. We ended up finding out that this wasn't the only time he had beaten cancer. While Michael was working hard on fighting his infections, Bob started chemo and radiation. The two of them are so much alike in personality and will. I sent Michael and our oldest, James to go and visit Bob while he was struggling at home and it meant so much to Michael and to Bob. I have been following Bob's progress through another trainer. Just the other day this other trainer came up to me ecstatically, and said, "Bob's here!" I immediately went into the weight room, there he was. His handsome face and throat were burned from chemo and radiation, he had lost 40 pounds (just like Michael). My heart was so full to see him lifting weights, so positive, so happy. We talked for a minute, he asked me how Michael was, and gave his progress. I hugged him, he hugged me back, hard. It was one of those hugs where you love it so much you don't want it to ever go away. Michael hugs like that. I cried. So did Bob. I think we understood each other. We understood our trials. We understood that if there is a will, there is a way. Miracles happen. I love my miracle, but it makes me so happy to delight in other peoples miracles too. Today I was talking with a different trainer at the gym. I want to lose my last 15 pounds and I can't do it without help, cause I'm addicted to chocolate, (there I said it, so we were talking about that. She is so happy and positive. She and I have known each other for a while. She knew Michael had been in the hospital but didn't know the extent. I told her. I explained to her that my Christmas was the best Christmas ever, I have Michael here to show for that. She was so happy for me. She then told me she had lost her Dad three weeks ago. We both cried. I told her that I was so sorry she had lost him. She said she had an angel now. I told her that is a wonderful job. I explained to her how much I believed in angels and how they gave me so much comfort this year. We both cried again. She hugged me even though I was sweaty. I've learned such a big lesson this year. I've learned that everyone has trials, some easy, some hard, some annoying, some really physically trying. But no matter what our trials bring us love, hope, faith, and a greater understanding of this life. Just when you think your trial is hard, someone has an even harder trial to bear. I want to live my life more understanding of other peoples trials no matter how big or small they are. I love that this year is almost over but I hate that I don't remember most of it, though I'm grateful for who I am now because of it.

No comments: