Saturday, January 19, 2013

Ankle Surgery

I finally had my surgery on the 31st of December. My doctor ended up shortening my tendon and my ligaments, and cleaning up all of the scar tissue I had building up in my ankle. He was very happy I had the surgery and said that I really needed it. I'm just baffled that I needed such a surgery and didn't even know it. Life has sort of been a blur since then. My mother in law came the 1st week to help me. I was surprised at how much I couldn't do. It frustrated me so bad that I would just make myself do it anyway. In return though it made me feel worse. I was so out of balance and found myself using muscles that I haven't used in a long time. The worse part of everything is not going to the gym. It makes my body feel better. I feel I have more energy, and I'm so much happier. I was so tempted to have Michael just drop me off for an hour just so I could lift weights, but it's not going to happen. For now I just have to tough it out until I can get there. I did go to Las Vegas with Michael and my mom and dad. We went there for a photography convention. I loved it. We had so much fun with them. My mom and I went to the first part of the convention, ate lunch with the guys, and then skipped out. I borrowed a knee scooter from my neighbor which enabled me to get around. It tired me out though. By the time the afternoon came I was ready for a nap. The time change didn't help either. I was really glad the boys didn't come. The big boys stayed with a dear friend of mine and Baby T stayed with my sister. It was so nice to not have to worry about them for a bit. So far I have had 2 weeks in a splint, 2 weeks in a cast, and then I get to wear a walking boot. I'm completely fine with the walking boot cause then I can get around more, like to the gym!!! I only have a week and 3 days left. I think I can, I think I can.....

2 comments:

Ron and Anna said...

We KNOW you can! Good job. Keep up the good work. And it IS work!

Mimi Collett said...

That is crazy that there were so many things wrong with your ankle! I am glad that they were able to be fixed in one surgery.

I was trying to imagine what bed rest would be like. I think it would drive me CRAZY, because I am really picky about how things are done, and I don't like waiting for other people to do things that I think should have already been done. Reading your blog post about having to force yourself to slow down made me think about that.

It is so important to let yourself heal though. My aunt recently had her knee removed, but the doctors wouldn't replace it. They just put plaster in. She's had so many surgeries where she was supposed to take it easy and stay in her wheelchair, and she wouldn't, and then they got infected again and again and again that they decided not to give her the option this time. (She's lost a toe or two from her inability to obey the doctor's "rest orders.") I thought it was so crazy that they would remove her knee and not put in a replacement, but I guess it makes sense, because getting the replacement infected wouldn't help her. Anyway. I am glad you have had help from your family and have been trying to go easy on it.