Friday, October 23, 2009

The topper of all topper weeks

Yes, this is the week to try and survive the trials. Besides the phone call that we had this morning that James has strep, (yes there is an end in site and motherly intuition doesn't lie, there was something wrong with my munchkin.) We received a phone call yesterday that a friend of ours, and investigator of our church was hit by a car. This wonderful, humble, amazing man's name is Esteban Gonzalez. The Spanish sisters found him a while ago and he had been coming to church every Sunday for almost 6 months. This sweet man is in his 60's had lots of health problems ranging from cataracts to a bad right leg, and also lots of yucky baggage from his past he had been holding on to also. Because of the baggage he hadn't been baptized yet and really didn't feel like he had the strongest testimony yet either, (he also couldn't read). Even though he had lots of health problems he would walk to church every sunday, which wasn't a short walk but he was determined to get his life straight and be happy. Every time he would come to church the english members would say Hello and try to communicate some how to him. Esteban loved that and so in return would try to do the same. Every time you would speak to him the spirit would hit you so hard, you could feel it so strong, you knew he was golden and deserved the best.

Well, this wonderful man decided to finally get baptized and it was going to be this Saturday. He was out yesterday with his friend and roommate at Goodwill shopping for some clothes for the baptism, and he was helping a few ladies carry some things out to their car when a crazy woman turned the corner in a huge truck to go to goodwill and instead of hitting the brakes she hit the gas and ran into Esteban and pinned him up against the building, crushing his abdomen and severing his legs. I know that is a little too much information but that was the reality of my topper. He is in ICU right now and isn't expected to survive. I truly love that man and know with all of my heart that he was here to help touch the lives of the english members of our ward. I wasn't ready at all for this, I needed him in my spanish gospel doctrine class to help the others understand that the gospel isn't about what you know, it is about what you feel. Esteban never read the Book of Mormon, or studied any part of the gospel, he had only known what was true through his heart and honestly knew it would get him to a better place. Michael went to give him a blessing last night and in the blessing Heavenly Father said that he had been forgiven of his sins, and pretty much released him to go. Part of me wants Esteban to survive, but I know he will be in a better place. I love this gospel and I love what it does for us but it still won't stop the heartache from missing such a wonderful man.

7 comments:

Mimi Collett said...

Thank you for your post. Esteban is a wonderful man.

Sara, Nick, and kids said...

wow i can't believe it. i am so sad. that is so sad

karen louise said...

Oh my gosh, Jo! That is the saddest thing ever!! I'm in tears! :( He sounds like such a sweet man...I hope the best for him and hope you feel comforted, Jo!

Jessica said...

i have not been able to stop thinking about him since you told me the story yesterday. what a beautiful thing for him to get a blessing like that from Heavenly Father through michael. i hope he doesn't experience too much more pain. and i hope you're doing okay, as well.

Tami Harris said...

Jo, I am so sorry to hear that! He sounds like a truly amazing man. How lucky he was to find the church 6 months ago. I can just imagine how it has changed his life as well as the lives he has touched because of it. You are definitely in my prayers! (((long distance hugs)))

Lindsay said...

Wow, what a honor to know such a wonderful man. Heavenly Father must love him so much and needs him to do other things. I'm so sorry. I know this has to be very hard for you. I love you and I'll pray for you and that sweet man.

McIntire Madness said...

How sad.