Thursday, June 24, 2010

Being a mom can be quite frustrating sometimes.

Well, I have a fun story to tell.

Last Friday was James' last day at Scout camp. I went to pick him up with Austin. He showed us how to shoot BB guns and shoot arrows, etc. It was Ok, because half of the time Austin kept throwing himself on the ground, screaming saying he wanted to go home, (whatever). Anyway, this lady came up to me and started talking to me. I knew who she was from her son, Mason. Mason was in James' class at the beginning of the year at school, but left and went to a different class. I mentioned to her that James had told me that he missed Mason because he was one of his friends. His mom looked at me funny and said, "Really." All of a sudden her hands started to tremble and then she said, "They didn't tell you did they." Of course I then said, "Tell me what." She then said to me that the reason why Mason left James' classroom was because of James. She proceeded to tell me that there was a situation where James and Mason got into trouble and they were sent to the tables to put their heads down. She then told me that James got up, grabbed Mason's head by the hair and slammed his head into the table. She told me then that after James slammed her sons head so hard into the table that Mason went blind.

Needless to say my mouth was hanging open in shock that my son would do anything like that to a boy that is twice his size. Mason when standing comes past my chest and is stocky and very large. Next, I was freaking out that NO ONE had told me. How could that be? I had this feeling come over me to be nice to her. So I did whatever I could to suck up the fact that I didn't believe anything she was telling me and as she continued to tell me how awful my child was to her HUGE son I just apologized that she had to go through that experience and moved on.

When I got home I wrote everything down immediately in an email to the principal and the teacher, and just hoped and prayed that none of this would be true. They called me on Monday, both the principal and the vice principal who both know James really well and explained to me what they "think" happened. They both told me that the teacher had decided to leave the room for a few minutes to make some copies which is a "NO NO", teachers aren't allowed to leave their kids unattended. Then she put two kids in charge of a game they were playing. After that all they got were mixed accounts of what happened. Numerous kids said that Mason bangs his head on the tables to be funny as a regular thing, and other kids didn't really know anything. So they came to the conclusion that the most important thing out of what happened was that the teacher left, so they needed to deal with a disciplinary action with her, and they wanted to make sure that Mason was OK, which he was. Then after that they weren't really sure what to call me about because they didn't want to accuse James of something they didn't actually have proof that he did. They did apologize to me for not giving me a heads up so I wouldn't have to deal with the mom like I did. In my heart I decided to just accept what they were telling me and just move on.

I did talk to James and tried to find out what happened. He told me, crying, that he was trying to get to his table and accidentally bumped Mason and he fell and banged his head on his table and then got up and said he couldn't see. I drilled him, asking, are you sure that is what happened? He just cried and said, Mommy, why aren't you believing me? So I had to drop it.

The moral of this I guess is, you have to trust you gut instincts. I am glad I didn't freak out and get mad at this mother. I am glad I was kind and showed her that I try to teach my boys morals and good standards, and not to be bullies and beat other kids up. You also need to trust your gut instincts with your kids. Yes I know James is impulsive and can be sassy. Yes he plays a little rough sometimes but he NEVER out right takes some kids head and bangs it so hard like that. Not even to his brother does he do that. I feel it is hard being a mom sometimes. A good friend of mine reminded me of the fact that Satan is out their trying to destroy the families and I feel that very much from some of the moms I meet out there with the things that they say to me. I am glad that I have the gospel to teach to my boys. I just hope that they will never take that for granted and always treat people the way that I try to teach them.

UPDATE: The boy Mason, was only blind for one hour. I am kind of skeptical if he was even blinded or not because the teacher sent him to the nurses station and he went without bumping into anything or hurting himself further. So was he really blind? That is just what he is telling his mom. And I don't really believe it. I just think he was either banging his head against the table or it was just an accident.

3 comments:

Sara, Nick, and kids said...

omg joanna. is he really blind? like for real? for sure? cannot see at all? forever? woah. are you just in shock? how can that even happen? keep us posted if you find out any more details.

Misty MAHAFFEY said...

Glad the kid is okay and glad that you listened to your gut instinct. There was this new article of a local kindergarten graduation where two moms got into a brawl. You probably don't need a 15 minutes of fame like that! Looking forward to seeing you soon.

Sara, Nick, and kids said...

thanks for the update! that is a lot better. makes me wanna say "lol" rather than "omg" hehe
hope you are having fun in cali :)