Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Michael's goals

The last four weeks Michael has been on antibiotics for the infection in his sternum. They originally started him on 2 different ones. One of the first ones built up in his system so high that they immediately took him off because the level was so toxic in his system. They changed the one to a different one. This new one started to make his joints swollen and his body achy, and then started to hurt his kidneys and liver. So they took him off that one and left him on one of the original ones. He has been frustrated and tired of taking them. It's physically taken a toll on him. It takes a lot for Michael to get really emotionally drained, but I think it was starting to happen for him. Before we found out that he had the infection we talked about him making physical goals for the months of June and July. June was to get rid of the walker, the wheel chair, and the cane, they are gone and he wanted to climb our stairs. Well, all of those are gone, plus the shower chair, the toilet seat, and the transfer board. He also climbed our tall stairs. There are 11 1/2 of them and they only have one railing. I didn't think he was ready to do it but he said, sure I am. So I followed him up listening to the tick of his heart beating really fast, (yes is heart has a ticking sound). The picture above is after he climbed them he sat down for a break. I'm so proud of how far he has come. This next month for July he wants to be able to lift our Baby T, and carry the garbage out. Even though it has been physically difficult for him he is ignoring it and just moving on upward. I continue to be overwhelmed with gratitude. I also continue to battle my fear and emotions of the unknown with his body. I'm grateful every day for the gift of life we have been given but am reminded daily that this life is short and to enjoy every minute of it.

No comments: