
A few weeks ago my parents were at our studio cleaning up the yard when my dad came across a little nest of baby bunnies. They were very tiny and my dad didn't want to disturb the nest for fear the mother wouldn't come back. There were 5 of them in all. I stopped by the studio a few days later to see Michael when he informed me that two of the babies died. He showed me the nest. It was so sad, the two had crawled out of the nest and couldn't with stand the rain and I'm sure were hungry and cold and died. There were three more in the nest, two who looked really healthy and were snuggled together and one that looked dead. I made a quick decision to take the bunnies to see if I could find someone who could rescue them. The sick/dead bunny wasn't moving at all, you could touch it and it would move a teeny tiny bit, but just barely enough, so I decided to take him too. When I got home my first instinct was to feed them some whole milk. So I put some gloves on and got a little dropper and started to feed them. The sick/dead one couldn't open his mouth so I forced it open and just put a little bit in his mouth, the other two needed a little bit of coaxing but they then started to suck. It was pretty cool to watch these little starving things suck just like a baby. After I fed them a little I got online and found a HUGE network of wildlife rehabilitators here in Ohio. I called and didn't get any response, so I just kept them over night. I did some research and found out that mother bunnies only feed their babies twice a day, so I fed them one more time, put them in a dark box and with a warm towel and a rice bag that I heated up. I let them be and by morning the sick/dead one was moving around a little bit more and looked so much better than he did the day before, he even opened his mouth and sucked on the dropper of milk when I fed them. By the afternoon I finally heard from a rehabilitator and she was excited to take them. The coolest part of it all and I didn't realize it till I dropped them off at her house was that my boys really were curious and effected by these babies. My oldest James was so concerned for their well being. He wanted to make sure that the lady where I was dropping them off at would take good care of them. I guess I got so caught up in taking care of them that I didn't realize that my boys were really watching me. I was grateful for the experience because I want them to be kind to animals too. It was a good lesson for them. I know it sounds silly but I also thought it was sort of therapeutic for me after what happened last year with Michael. I felt happier and relieved to have helped them.
2 comments:
What a beautiful experience. Funny how such a small, simple thing can make such a big impact on your heart. And kids, they are always watching.
What a sweet story, not many people would do what you did. Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment